Friday, July 20, 2012

Before You Speak...

Well, I guess this is something that God is really laying on my heart lately. I found this blog I wrote about a month ago, but saved it as a draft.  I thought I would share.  It seems to be the theme I have going right now!

My family attends a church that is held in a middle school.  I have to say, I love this middle school.  Everywhere, hanging on the walls, are signs and sayings that reemphasize that bullying is not tolerated.  It is such a shame that the concept of bullying continues today...and even more so awful at how many different ways there are to be bullied these days.

When I was growing up, I experienced being bullied.  It was always subtle, so I often wondered if I imagined it or if I had done something to warrant it.  Although... as I've grown up I have come to the understanding that NO Bullying is acceptable, regardless of the situation. 
I was never one in the popular group at school.  I kind of marched to the beat of my own drum, but not in the cool way like they portray it on television... but the ackward, kinda reserved type of way.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I tried my hardest to fit in.  I played volleyball, wrote for the literary magazine, sold ads for the school newspaper, took a photography class, and I loved God. Not exactly the recipe for coolness, but I had a good time.  However, I had a few people in my life that made lasting impressions on me because of the unkind words that were spoken.  I was made to feel an outcast and unwanted. Which, I must be honest - didn't do much to help boost my self-esteem. It wasn't until I was an adult I was able to put the words behind me and not let them dictate how I felt about myself.

I consider myself fortunate that I was able to move past it - but others aren't so fortunate. The phrase, "Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is one of the largest lies out there! Words do hurt...and they can cut as deep as stones.
In our time period bullying has become such a big ordeal.  It's become so easy - cyber bullying - texting, facebook, email, myspace, picking on the weaker kids in school, etc.  It is easy to ask why... but have we stopped to see where the bullying begins? Why do kids think it's ok? Where have they learned this behavior?

Let's take a minute to think back to when 'we' (the grownups) were growing up.   I was in elementary school in the 80's. Life seemed so much simplier then. You remember... no cell phones, we came home when the street lights came on, if you got in trouble in school - it was worse when you got home.  We made mud pies and rode our bikes all over town.  If it was a special occasion, Mom and Dad would rent us a VCR and some movies from the movie rental place.  I don't remember taking much for granted (I'm sure I did, but I can't recall). 

It was my parents, my Sunday School teachers, my teachers, my friends' parents that instilled and reinforced positive behavior. I learned to treat others the way I wanted to be treated (The Golden Rule...Matthew 7:12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.) There were so many other lessons they taught me, but I bring that one up nearly every day.  Even when talking to my step-sons - reminding them daily to treat others the way they want to be treated.
Do they want people teasing them? Making fun? Calling them names? Lying to them?  Of course...the answer is no.  We then will ask, if the situation calls for it, they why did they do that to someone else? 
We, as parents, need to step up and be the positive example in our children's lives so they know they are special and loved.  It is often said that those that are deprived of that, tend to make others feel lower than themselves.

I guess the question is what can we do to step up, do Random Acts of Kindness and teach the younger generation how to build people up instead of tearing them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment