Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Will you pray for me?

How often is it that someone approaches, asking for prayer regarding something? Or maybe they don't flat out ask for prayer but they share a concern or praise regarding person family illness, financial situation, friendship or work related situations?  I know I am often guilty of even saying on my own accord after soemone has shared something with me, "I'll be praying for you about that." The common response is thank you. And then we go our separate ways, and I don't know about you - but I sometimes forget to pray.

I spent my summer of 1998 in Wildwood, NJ on a Summer Project with Campus Crusade for Christ (now called CRU). That summer it was SO easy to pray.  A friend hurting...we stopped and prayed, co-worker struggling...we stopped and prayed, passing a traffic accident...those in my car would turn off the radio and turn our thoughts and words to prayer for those involved. It was an honor that summer to be considered a Prayer Warrior...

Upon arriving back home, and in the years following, I found myself pausing and hesitating to pray for someone in need. I often hesitatied because I was concerned about offending someone or making someone else feel uncomfortable. But, God has laid it on my heart to step out of my comfort zone.  It's in those moments that God brings someone to mind, or when He prompts me in a conversation to pray ... I realize I must obey.

When someone asks for prayer, I ask them if I can pray for them right then. I have found that, unfortunately, they are shocked to think I would stop everything to pray for them.  It means a lot to tell someone you are praying for them - but God doesn't just call us to do it 'later,' He longs for us to seize the opportunities the moment they occur.  This way, I don't promise to do something and fail to follow through, and I am more in tune with God. When He brings that person or situation back to mind, I am more inclined to stop again and pray. 

It doesn't take much to send someone a facebook message or post, a text message or an email to let them know that God has brought them to mind and that you were praying for them.  We don't always know what is going on in the lives of those around us, what they are facing, walking through and attempting to conquer.  Would you be willing to set aside your own agenda to put someone else first?

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
16 Rejoice always; 17 pray without ceasing; 18 in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.   

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post. I too have felt conviction to pray on demand. It never bothered me as a child or teen but now I am a grown woman. I too need to get back there and pray, on demand, when asked or urged to do so by the Holy Spirit. It is time to become a prayer warrior. I will join your vision where I am in Cameron MO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I will gladly accept all prayer warriors on our journey! I'll be keeping you in my prayers!

      Delete